Director of Finance
About the Role
The Director of Finance reports to the CEO and will lead CodePath’s internal financial operations, overseeing audit, tax accounts payable and receivable, and finance responsibilities including financial forecasting, modeling and budgeting. The role leads all day-to-day and project needs and improves our internal documentation process. The ideal candidate will provide financial and decision making support to co-founders.
Responsibilities also include production of financial reports; proper maintenance of accounting records; accurate processing of financial transactions; and administration of a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of CodePath’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), adhere to grants management standards, and result in flawless audits.
Since 2015, we have doubled in size year over year and trained more than 2,500 students across 49 colleges and universities. Now with major, multi-year endorsements from Venture Capital Firms like Andreessen Horowitz, large employers like Walmart, and top technology companies like Facebook and Microsoft, CodePath is building a world-class leadership team and seeking a talented and ambitious Director of Finance to own our internal financial operations.
CodePath is an innovative education nonprofit building the largest pipeline of high-performing, underrepresented software engineers in the industry. We are the first organization in history to centralize student support, curriculum, and classroom operations across dozens of for-credit, in-person college classrooms. Our unique combination of student-led courses with remote support by professional engineers and a robust online learning platform produces scalable, high impact programs that have received major endorsements from professors, large funders, and major corporations.
What’s the job like?
- You will lead our audit, tax, and finance functions, and have a solid understanding of compliance - all in the context of a well-funded, mission-driven organization that moves at tech startup speed.
- You will be responsible for financial forecasting, modeling, and budgeting.
- You will provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and executing strategy, and provide guidance and analysis to improve our documentation.
- You will maintain a system of accounts and keep books and records on all transactions and assets.
- You will prepare and analyze accurate monthly financial and management reports, including income statement, balance sheet, budget and variance, projections and forecast, and cash flow.
- You will oversee the administration of payroll and benefits, using various tools and partnering with Zenefits to deliver a flawless employee experience.
- You will attend board meetings and serve as the finance subject matter expert.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are processed accurately, in a timely manner, and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepare and assist with developing audit schedules for the annual independent financial audit and 990 tax filing.
- Develop, implement, and maintain processes and controls that are current best practices related to transaction processing.
- Manage all of the following transactions: payroll, accounts payable, revenue and expense, fixed assets, cash, bank reconciliations, and allocations.
- Perform month-end closing procedures, including overhead allocations, account reconciliations, and updating schedules.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Assist in issuing timely, accurate, and complete financial statements for all levels, including Board of Directors, executive, and management.
- Assist in coordinating the preparation of the draft audited financial statements and all tax returns.
- Coordinate the preparation of financial information in the corporate annual report.
- Recommend and report upon benchmarks against which to measure organizational performance.
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance. CPA is preferred but not required.
- Nonprofit experience, with experience with fund/grants accounting preferred.
- Ideal candidate has deep finance and accounting experience, including gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to management and external stakeholders).
- Solid experience in coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget
development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- Proficiency with accounting software and excellent Excel skills.
- Prior experience effectively managing others is preferred, including external and internal resources
CodePath Core Values
- We keep our promises to students
- We exist to empower others
- We encourage and celebrate diversity
- We believe in continuous growth and excellence
- We love to experiment and try new things
We are committed to professional growth and fulfillment at work. Benefits include:
- Medical insurance with dental and vision.
- Generous time off with a flexible workplace and work schedule.
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization.
- Frequent opportunities to connect with students, universities, and communities we serve.
- Opportunities to engage, collaborate and partner with top technology companies, venture capitalists, and engineering leaders in Silicon Valley.
- Offices in the San Francisco SOMA area, near Caltrain.
About the Current Team
We are individuals from a multitude of backgrounds, experiences, and unlikely stories, all connected by a single dream: a world in which regardless of background, socioeconomic status, gender or race all people have pathways to reach their full potential.
With a staff and board that cares deeply about diversity and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a richer work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.